Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Week of Prayer for Christian Unity

The Christian Church exists today with many denominations. We certainly have become a diverse group of people. Even within denominations, there is much difference among congregations.

We enter now the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. We are invited to pray for unity within the church.

Scripture gives us the words of Jesus in praying for his followers: "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one,I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." John 17:20-23

We would realize that there are many things that have caused division among Christians, involving such things as doctrine and practice.

Jesus, I believe, is praying not so much for organizational unity, but that we would all see our oneness in him - to see that there is more that unites us than divides us.

It is gratifying to know that he is praying for his church and continues to do so. May it also be our prayer that we as believers can seek to live in harmony with each other despite our differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment