Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Praying in Jesus' Name

"Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it." John 14:13-14

Jesus here is giving his farewell address to his disciples. He knows that the time is short until his crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension. He wants to give them the promise that he will still be "with them" and that they can find power through prayer.

We notice that Jesus says here that his disciples are to pray in his name! I have been accustomed to mentioning the name of Jesus at the end of my own prayers. I realize that these words of our Lord might not necessarily mean that we verbally mention his name, but that we pray in the spirit of Jesus.

Either way, I believe Jesus wanted us to remember him in our praying. He is the one who has given us access to God the Father. Jesus said earlier in this chapter, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me." John 14:6. In praying in this manner, we remember that it is the work of Jesus that enables us to have the privilege to bring our requests before God.

How is it in your praying? Are your prayers said in Jesus' name?