Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Thinking Aloud with God in Prayer

I have always thought of prayer as best when being conversational and informal as opposed to presenting a monolog to God.  A monolog can turn out to be very stiff and formal.  God has given us the privilege to come in prayer; and moreover, to do it as a child would speak informally to one's parent.  Yes, we can pour out what is deep within our hearts to God.

Therefore, we can speak very frankly and directly in terms of letting God know exactly how we feel.  I believe this is one of the gifts of prayer.  We don't have to feel as if we are millions of miles away from our Creator.  We can speak to God as if God were standing right next to us and whose ear is attentive to our every word.

I came across these words in Psalm 30 the other day that really hit home to me about prayer.  "To you, O Lord, I cried, and to the Lord I made supplication: What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the Pit?  Will the dust praise you?  Will it tell of your faithfulness?  Hear O Lord, and be gracious to me!  O Lord, be my helper!" (Psalm 30:8-10)

The psalmist is using basic logic.  If he has died, he can no longer praise God.  In other words, the psalmist was pleading to God to be saved when in danger because then he could continue bringing praise to his Creator.  While I have never made such a statement in prayer, it made me think of how we can be at times very frank with God.  It shows our intent and our love for all that God means to us.

So, how is your praying?  Have you ever been very frank and upfront with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment