Thursday, September 11, 2014

Praying to Determine What Is Best

I begin a sermon series on the apostle Paul's letter to the Philippians this coming Sunday.  As I was reading through the first chapter, I came across these words:

"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless,...."
Philippians 1:9-10.

Paul would pray for those in Philippi in order that they would make the best decisions possible in living the Christian life and therefore stand well when Christ returns.  I noticed how Paul connects love with knowledge and insight.  Even in loving others, we might need some help.  For instance, if I am to love someone with whom I am on bad terms, I know it won't be easy. I might be unwilling do it.  However, if I am informed through what the Gospel means and Jesus words, I might reflect on "loving your enemy" and come to the conclusion that my love is to extend to this person.  If I then go ahead and show love in a tangible way, I might win this person over in my relationship (even for Christ).

Have you ever found yourself in a situation of not really knowing what to do?  This is why we might need to pray even for ourselves in loving others.  We would want to know how to respond properly so that we will be well-pleasing to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment