Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Praying with Emotion - the Christmas Connection

"But Hannah answered, ‘No, my lord, I am a woman deeply troubled; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord. Do not regard your servant as a worthless woman, for I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation all this time.’ " 1 Samuel 1:15-16

The story of Hannah giving birth to Samuel and Mary giving birth to Jesus have a parallel. The birth of those two children involved God's intervention.

What strikes me about Hannah's story is that she had prayed fervently for a child. We learn from the account that she had been "pouring out her soul before the Lord." She desperately wanted to have a child. In her prayer she vowed that if she had a son, she would give him to the Lord's service.

How many of us are willing to pour out our soul in prayer?

It's easy when caught in a difficult time to feel that God doesn't care for me or that God can't do anything. With Hannah, we discover a person who felt more connected to God. The point of her pouring out her soul was that she believed what God could do.

Do you believe that God is bigger than your problems? Have you ever been so desperate that you have "poured out your soul" to the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment