Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Starting Out Your Day

"Very early the next morning, long before daylight, Jesus got up and left the house. He went out of town to a lonely place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35


How do you begin your day? Is it contemplating the myriad of things you have to do? Is it reading the newspaper or turning on the TV to catch the latest news on what has happened?

The evangelist Mark tells us of a time when Jesus got up early and the first thing he did was to find solitude and time for prayer. We notice from the verses preceding this verse that Jesus' previous day was filled with activity, especially healing people who were sick. It was a day of Jesus' bringing the kingdom to folks.

Upon waking, I try to say a brief prayer in thankfulness that God has sustained me through the night. I realize I cannot take it for granted. After breakfast, I will also have time to pray along with reading of Scripture. I find I need to start the day out in this manner.

Prayer reminds us that we are not walking alone throughout the day. We have directed our attention to God who can give us strength and guide us. When we pray in upon waking, we have God in our minds right from the start.

How is it with you? Can prayer become a priority in your life when you get up in the morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment