Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waiting with Watchful Eyes

I conclude my references to Psalm 130 with the words: "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning. " Psalm 130: 5-6

At the beginning of the psalm, the psalmist had cried out to God in the depths of his being. There are times when this strong feeling is needed. We might even feel that our relationship to God is being called into question - let alone God still being with us.

Then, as this psalm ends, we discover the confidence that the psalmist has. He uses the analogy of a watchman on the tower of the city's walls. The watchman longs for the sunrise and daybreak to come. It is with the same intensity that the psalmist longs for an answer to come to his prayer.

Are you willing to wait with the same intensity when you pray? Are you continually on the lookout to where God might show up? This intense waiting signals your confidence in God to come through for you.