Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Prayer as a Divine Invitation

It's always comforting to read of God's promises in Scripture. They are made by the eternal One who will always stand by the word given to us.

In Jeremiah 33:3, we have the words of God coming to the prophet Jeremiah: "Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things which you have not known."

Those words bring a rock solid promise; but even more than a simple promise. It is God willing to reveal to Jeremiah great and hidden things. Even though destruction might come from the Chaldeans, God will restore the fortunes of Judah and fortunes of Israel. vs. 7 The voice of mirth and gladness would return. vs. 11. What hopeful words to hear!

I know that I myself like to hear these words of Scripture from time to time as they bolster my faith. I know that I can stake my life on the promises that God gives - even with prayer.

When I pray, I therefore know that the words of my prayer will not just evaporate in space, but will be heard by a loving and all-powerful God. This conviction makes all the difference. It makes praying worth all the effort.

Willing you be willing to stake your prayers on this promise of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment