Friday, August 23, 2013

Scheduling Prayer Time

While we often think of prayer as being a standard component in worship or maybe as a spontaneous activity in our lives throughout the week, the activity of praying may come mainly when we are in crisis or have something for which we want to express thanks.  However, what if we were to schedule time of prayer throughout the week?

Henri Nouwen writes about such a discipline as described in The Only Necessary Thing, compiled and edited by Wendy Wilson Greer. Nouwen says that we do not take the spiritual life seriously if we do not set aside time to be with God.  "We may have to write it in black and white in our daily calendar so that nobody else can take away this period of time."

What do you think about doing this in regard to prayer?  Are you that disciplined?  I know for myself, I usually have time for prayer after eating breakfast.  In a way it is sort of fixed time.  However, other times come more spontaneously when I want to give thanks or have a request.  I wonder, though, what if I were to put on my calendar a specific time when I was going to pray during the week?  I wonder if it would change the content of my praying? Would praying take on a new meaning?  Would it become more of a priority in my life? 

I will ponder Nouwen's suggestion some more.  I have the feeling it might change my relationship with God for the better.  Feel free to let me know how you allot time for prayer in your own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment