Friday, August 30, 2013

Surrendering Yourself in Prayer


As we pray, it would seem like we need to have a certain openness, not only to what the end result might be, but also during the actual time we are praying. We must be able to be fully present with God during this engaging and personal time.  I would once again refer to what Henri Nouwen wrote about prayer as taken from The Only Necessary Thing, compiled and edited by Wendy Wilson Greer.

Nouwen writes:  "The wisdom of the desert is that the confrontation with our own frightening nothingness forces us to surrender ourselves totally and unconditionally to the Lord Jesus Christ."  Nouwen highlights the importance of finding a place of solitude where we can focus entirely on our experience with God.  Of course, we know there are many things that can enter our minds, maybe not related to what we want to bring before God.

Nouwen highlights the need here for surrender. I believe he means that I am willing to turn over my entire self to God in prayer
Let me offer some suggestions about surrender:
1. I will be honest about my situation, knowing that God knows me completely.
2. I will be willing to change to conform my life to what God desires.
3. I will be willing to admit my falling short of what God expected of me (repentance).
4. I will accept what God's will is for my life.
5. I will believe that God is one who desires nothing more than seeking the good that can come from me.

We may need to think about this openness, this surrender, as we do bring ourselves to a time of prayer.  What else might you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment